LENGTH OF PSYCHOTHERAPY
The number of psychotherapy sessions you need — as well as how frequently you need to see your
therapist — depends on such factors as:
Your particular mental illness or situation.
- The severity of your symptoms.
- How long you’ve had symptoms or have been dealing with your situation.
- How quickly you make progress.
- How much stress you’re experiencing?
- How much your mental health concerns interfere with day-to-day life.
- How much support you receive from family members and others?
It may take only weeks to help you cope with a short-term situation. However, treatment may last a
year or longer if you have a long-term mental illness or other long-term concerns.